Come back to find a new delicious recipe every week (hopefully!)...
Sometimes Aussie, sometimes a favourite from another corner of the world.
Please leave a comment and tell me how you enjoyed the recipes!



Due to unfortunate circumstances, my private blog, our family blog, and my children's blogs are no longer public blogs. If you would like to read any of those blogs, please email me at studyinghisword@gmail.com so I can send you an invitation to read any blog you are interested in.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

German Potato Salad

*this is an Amish recipe from an Amish cookbook; it has become our favourite potato salad, and is most delicious refrigerated and eaten cold - the flavours seem to blend best and it becomes very creamy...mmmm...!*

4 boiled potatoes, cut in chunks
Dressing:
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
dash of pepper
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup thinly sliced cucumbers or onions (we prefer onions or alternatively, 1 teaspoon onion powder)
2-3 slices bacon, fried and diced

Combine dressing ingredients and pour over warm potatoes. Toss lightly until coated. Serve warm with a dash of paprika (or alternatively, refrigerate and serve cold!)
-Ruth Martin, PA

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Made this one today - I used about half the vinegar and mustard and found it to be "vinegary " enough. What sort of vinegar do you use? I also used shallots as i'm not so keen on raw onion.L

Clara Van Nattan said...

I'm glad you commented on the "bite" in this potato salad! I must have been in a hurry or distracted by the kids the day I posted this recipe because I missed the salt in the ingredient list and wrote the salt quantity for the mustard powder. I apologise for that. You might enjoy it more now that the recipe has been corrected!! I use white vinegar, and I often use onion powder as we don't always eat raw onion either. I must try it with shallots - good suggestion!! :)