Skip to main content

Chicken Chowder

2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 1/2 cups carrots, diced
1 1/2 cups raw potatoes, diced
2 chicken boullion cubes (or 2 teaspoons chicken stock powder)
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups water
3 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 cups milk

Melt butter in large soup kettle/pan.  Add onions and saute until tender.  Add chicken, carrots, potatoes, boullion cubes, salt, peppeer, and water.  Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender.  Combine flour and 1/2 cup milk in a jar. Cover and shake until blended.  Add to vegetables along with remaining 2 cups milk.  Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.

*From Wanda E. Brunstetter's Amish Friends Cookbook

Comments

Anonymous said…
Clara ,I make a similar soup but use milk powder instead of milk ie mix a couple of tablespoons of full cream milk powder with enough water to make smooth mix and add.
I made it last night and used raw chicken breast and added a handful of barley,finely chopped parsley and shallots and cooked it all for about an hour on a high simmer - the chicken fell a part with a little help.I added a packet of chicken and corn cup of spup at the emd mixed in with the milk powder and that helps to thicken it

Popular posts from this blog

Delectable Mini Donut Muffins

*This recipe is from here on Allrecipes.com .  Even though it is just a muffin recipe, it is amazing how much these donut muffins really do taste like donuts - only better!!  WARNING:  these are so delicious, you might find it hard to stop eating them!!* Makes about 24. 1/2 cup raw sugar 1/4 cup margarine (or butter), melted 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1/2 cup milk 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 cup all-purpose flour 1/4 cup butter, melted  [I found I needed more than this] 1/2 cup raw sugar 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease 24 mini-muffin cups. 2. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup butter, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir in the milk, then mix in the baking powder and flour until just combined. Fill the prepared mini muffin cups about half full. 3. Bake in the preheated oven until the tops are lightly golden, 15 to 20 minutes. 4. While muffins are baking, place 1/4 cup of melted butter in a bowl. In a separate bo...

Machbous ala dajaj

*This is a delicious spiced chicken and rice Middle Eastern dish - it is not spicy, but it is very savoury!* Serves 5-6 2 large onions, chopped 2 tablespoons ghee or butter 1 tablespoon Baharat (see recipe here) 1 teaspoon tumeric 1 chicken, about 1.5kg (3lb), cut in pieces (I used just chicken breast to save on bothering with bones!) 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, peeled and chopped (I didn't bother peeling) 1/2 teaspoon powdered Loomi (dried lime), or grated lemon zest 3 cloves 2 cinnamon sticks 6 cardamom pods 3 teaspoons salt 2 1/2 cups water 2 cups basmati rice 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (coriander) leaves, chopped 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped In a deep heavy pan, gently fry onion in ghee/butter until translucent and beginning to brown.  Stir in Baharat and tumeric and cook 2 minutes longer. Add chicken pieces and turn in onion mixture over medium heat to brown lightly.  Add tomatoes, Loomi/lemon zest, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom pods and salt, stirrin...

August Menu Planner

Back at the beginning of July, I decided to try a new idea - making a menu plan for the whole month, and trying to really stick at it in an attempt to be more frugal (using ingredients on hand rather than shopping for special ingredients when they are required on impulse).  July's menu plan went  really well, so I have set up a plan for this month as well.  I thought you might find it interesting to see what we'll be eating this month...  And if you think any of these recipes sound interesting, ask and I will post them, if possible!  (The links take you to the recipes I've already posted, for your convenience). Sunday 1st - meatballs with rice and vegies Monday 2nd - tuna mornay bake Tuesday 3rd - spicy sausages, rice and vegies Wednesday 4th - roast pumpkin & capsicum pasta salad with bacon Thursday 5th - leftovers Friday 6th - slow cooker beef stew Saturday 7th - chicken fried rice Sunday 8th - pumpkin soup Monday 9th - toad ...